October 6, 2011
My friend Rob Raker designed the course and took these photos--a huge effort by a man with a huge heart! The competition involved similar activities seen on the ABC show: map reading, riddles and puzzles to solve, objects to find, and answering key questions about native flora and fauna (ospreys, lodgepole and ponderosa pine trees, frogs, etc.) We just couldn't find camels or Arabian stallions. Instead, we had teams catching crawdads, feeding carrots to a rather large Percheron horse, biking, running, boating, and swimming. The final challenge was to dive down in search of a golf ball – the ticket to finish.
But the most thrilling part of the day was yet to come! You see, our ranch is haunted by a lady who lived at the turn of the century. I told everyone the full story about how there was an accident involving a horse. She died and her ghost now lives in the old barn guarding over her child. Then we all went for a peek inside through a little peephole, through the rays of the sunlight, and the dust, you find in the back, a crib - a baby crib. Freaky scary!
The winners are listed below.
1. Team Surf 'N Turf (Becky Hall and Charley Mace)
2. Brainy Brunettes (Rebecca Archer and Pam Waltz)
3. Team Alt-i-Tude (Leslie and John Altman)
Mixed; Adult and Child
1. The Blonde Bombers (Julie and Sadie Grimm)
2. The Red Rockets (Cork and Sam Grimm)
3. Team Super Cool (Matt and Max Paolucci)
1. Team Drummer Boys (Jack Nasky and Julian Archer)
2. Small and Tall and Small (Kate Altman, Roxie Holmes, and Abby Waltz)
3. The Golden Girls (Emma Weihenmayer, Mara Coe, and Natalie Capaul)